Merits & Reviews
The Academic Review Process
All Academics are evaluated in four areas, if applicable, every two to four years. These areas are:
- Clinical Activity
- Research and creative activity
- University and public service
The normal periods for review are:
Assistant and Associate ranks: Every two years
Full rank, Step I-VIII: Every three years
Full rank, Step IX and above: Every four years
Helpful Tips to Make the Review Process Smoother:
- Update your biography/bibliography form as you publish new papers, join new committees, etc.
- If teaching is a requirement for your series, remind students to complete teaching evaluations. Check in with your Academic Affairs specialist to see how many evaluations are in your file.
- Update your teaching quantification and patient caseload form annually.
- If you will be up for a promotion please work with your Division Chief to determine a list of outside reviewers to write letters for your file.
- Keep copies of your reprints as you publish new articles as these must be submitted with your review file.
- Keep in mind for your professional narrative – if you are up for merit advancement you need to address the current period under review. If you are up for a promotion or special merit, which are considered career reviews, you must address your career in addition to the current review period.
TIMELINE FOR THE ACADEMIC REVIEW PROCESS
March – June
Academic Affairs notifies all academics up for review of required items. Files are analyzed and compiled, teaching evaluations summarized, referee letters are obtained for certain reviews types of reviews.
July – November
Files are finalized and compiled for review by the Department of Pediatrics Review and Appraisal Committee. The committee reviews files at meetings in August, September, October and November. Files are then submitted for review by Department faculty (excluding merit advancement files).
November – February
Department Chair conducts final review of files and prepares the Chair’s recommendation letter. Files are then submitted to Dean’s Office between November and January. Notifications on review outcomes will be sent to the Department Chair.